Monday, April 24, 2017

More Things I've Learned

Here's another quick list of more things I have learned while being on this journey (so far):

1. Who needs hair dryers?

2. Diet coke? Schm-iet Coke.

3. I drink coffee with breakfast (I prefer cappuccinos, but coffee will work)

4. I now understand the importance/meaning of feet washing (like in Biblical times) from first-hand experience

5. I actually don't mind sleeping inside a mosquito net. Mosquito nets are necessary.

6. Water is like GOLD. And I mean - GOLD. We have had difficulty finding bottled water while in Nioro, and our inn has not had water for 24 hours (at the time of this writing). Our reserve bucket of water is empty. It is SOOOOOO important to have water. For everything.

7. I am so thankful for hand wipes.

8. Thank goodness for dry shampoo.

9. I used to be a knife and fork only kind of girl (and definitely no bones) - that has changed. I think every meal I ate yesterday was with my hands.

10. Smiling means the same in any language.

11. It has been such a beautiful thing to watch children who were scared of me come to like me

12. The Senegalese take much more time on relationships/friendships than we do in the US. They don't text - they call. A trip to the market may take quite a while because you stop and chat to everyone along the way.

13. On the same note, when I shared pictures of my family with everyone - they were interested. Genuinely interested. Not flipping pages to get it done.

14. It is difficult to prepare meals. It is important for those meals to be enjoyed together with family and extended family.

15. Kids are "kids" no matter which country you're in. Teenagers act very similarly here and there.

16. Teachers are also very similar in Senegal and the US - as they all love their students and want them to learn and grow into respectful, responsible, productive adults

And - one very important one -

17. Thank goodness I love love love my partner, Nan and our host teacher Papa! We can laugh and have a great time while sharing in this journey together. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment