Saturday, April 15, 2017

Two More Days...


Just two short days until I head out for Senegal. My friend Christie gave me this bracelet to remind me to "Enjoy the Journey." It has already been quite the journey and I have yet to step foot on Senegalese soil.


A lot has happened in the world within the last few months, weeks - heck, even the last few days. Although I don't want to get into politics - I have been asked by many people, "Are you excited?" - then I get, "Aren't you scared with all that's happening in the world today?" First of all, yes. Yes, I am very excited. I am excited to travel to a place half way around the world to meet students and teachers and learn about their education system. I am excited to travel with my partner, Nan, and learn about globalizing education together as elementary educators. Nan is a STEAM teacher in Northern CA, and with my focus being on technology - we make an awesome team! I am excited about all that I will learn, the new places I will go, the new people I will meet and the new things I will experience. But the next question - am I afraid? Afraid? No. Every day that I get into my car, I COULD BE in an accident. Every time I step foot onto the street, I COULD BE hit by oncoming traffic. Every time I go into a shopping center, I COULD BE robbed, mugged or car jacked - right here in California. But have I been? By the common grace of God, no. But COULD I have been? Yes. Of course. Any of us could be, on any given day. Life is short, and we shouldn't live in fear.

There are certainly precautions to take when traveling. There are also general precautions of safety to take in everyday life. Nan and I are ready and have so far made a great team in terms of preparations and teamwork. We have had safety webinars and briefings, and are prepared with what we believe will make us smart, ready travelers. Those things are important- no matter when or where you travel - domestic or international.




So, as I pack my bags and get ready to leave my family for two weeks, I am reminded of two quotes that I'd like to share. Author of The Alchemist, Portuguese writer Paulo Coelho once said, "If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it is lethal." Coelho happened to be nominated by The Albert Einstein Foundation in 2017 as one of the 100 leading visionaries of our time and I love the dichotomy he draws between routine and adventure. My hope is that one day my own boys will grow roots with family, home and security - as well as have wings to soar and experience places around the world. Probably one of my favorite travel quotes has been attributed to St. Augustine, "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." The world we live in is a big, beautiful, vast place. A far bigger place than I will ever be able to visit and see. I am so blessed and fortunate to be extended this opportunity to visit Africa. I'm not sure I will ever have another opportunity such as this in my entire lifetime. I am certainly soaking up every minute, every second - and am hoping to share it all with you along the way.

Below is our finalized day-by-day schedule for our time in Nioro Du Rip. We are so excited to have our finalized schedule!!!! Can't wait!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment