Monday, March 27, 2017

Shots, Shots, Shots, Shots (not that kind)

Preparations

Upon arriving home from Washington DC (over a month ago), I called my health insurance to make an appointment at our travel clinic. I was told there was no rush on the appointment, since my travel wasn't until April 17. My appointment with Kaiser was March 23.

 At the doctor, I was told I would need four shots, and I would be receiving three medications to take with me "just in case." The four shots I would need included yellow fever, Hep A, typhoid (TYDvi), and meningitis (MENVEO). I would have also needed diptheria and tetanus, but I received both of those at a previous appointment last summer. Luckily, those were still valid and I didn't need those. Phew.

The one vaccination that was very important was yellow fever. I specifically needed a yellow fever card to get into Senegal. It happens to be the only live virus vaccination I would need, in addition to being in very high demand. My health insurance, Kaiser, was out of yellow fever. None of the Orange County clinics had it - and they had a wait list. I called the Orange County travel clinic in Santa Ana, and they DID have it - but didn't have any appointments available until May. Too late.


I called several other places listed on the CDC website, and was placed on waiting lists. It seemed no one had the yellow fever vaccination in stock. I got a call from a Walgreens that had a cancellation for a yellow fever appointment and they had ONE vaccination in stock! Just ONE! I drove down immediately and was given both the vaccination and my yellow fever card that I need for entrance to Senegal. I'm not going to lie, these shots hurt. Not at the moment from the needle, that evening and the next day. They hurt in the muscle and it felt like someone punched me in the arm multiple times. My left arm was bruised and it hurt to sleep on it. Thankfully, within a day or so, both arms felt better.

Considering what the doctors told me about these diseases, I would gladly take the vaccinations over the possibility of contracting any of them. I was also given malaria pills to take before I leave, while I'm there and even for a week after I get back. I know I will need to load up on Deet or some other form of mosquito repellant. But now, at least I am medically ready for Senegal! It's so exciting - everything is coming together!

In terms of other preparations, we have begun making an itinerary with our host teacher, Papa Amadou Seck. We are also in the process of having #TeamSenegal shirts made, in addition to having some silicon wristbands made to hand out to students in Senegal.

Nan and I are working together on lessons we will be teaching while in Senegal. We will be teaching an elementary lesson, a high school science lesson, a high school English lesson, and a lesson to an after school English club. We are working with Papa to get our itinerary set while we are are in Nioro du Rip. We are very close to having it finalized.

Next week is our security webinar. We leave on April 17 and all 10 of us meet in Atlanta to fly out together as a team. #TeamSenegal will leave from Atlanta to fly to Paris before heading to Dakar. We arrive in Dakar on April 18. Less than a month to go now!





No comments:

Post a Comment