Sunday, March 26, 2017

Studying Senegal

Studying Senegal

I have to admit, when I heard I was going to Senegal, I wasn't sure where it was located on a map. Sad, I know. I knew it was in Africa, but I didn't know exactly where. It certainly made me aware of how lacking my own knowledge was of geography. Senegal is officially the Republic of Senegal. The name "Senegal" comes from the Wolof "Sunuu Gaal" which means "our boat." Senegal has an estimated population of about 15 million. Senegal is located in West Africa. It is bordered by Mauritania to the north, Mali to the east, Guinea to the southeast, and Guinea-Bissau to the southwest. Interestingly, Senegal is divided by The Gambia, which runs through the country (as seen on the map below). The capital city is Dakar, which I will be traveling to for a few days at the beginning of my trip, and also will return to at the end before heading back to the states.


I will arrive in Dakar, which is located on the Cap-Vert peninsula on the Atlantic coast. Interestingly, Dakar is the westernmost city in Africa. It was settled in the 15th century by Portuguese. The Portuguese eventually founded a settlement on the island of Goree, which by 1536 was used as a base for slave trade. From Dakar, I will travel to Nioro du Rip (seen in the map just to the north of The Gambia).

The primary language in Senegal is French, although there are many other languages spoken, including Wolof. In the schools I will be visiting, they are taught in French. Many of them take English classes and have after school English clubs. Outside of school and at home, they speak Wolof. I have already purchased two Wolof books and am trying my best to learn some Wolof phrases before my trip!




Here are some words/phrases I am learning (Wolof/French):

Hello
Salaam aleekum/Bonjour

Goodbye
Mangi dem/Au revoir

Please
Bu la neexee/S'il vous plait

Thank you
Jerejef/Merci

You're Welcome
Amul solo/Je vous en prie

Yes
Waaw/Oui

No
Det det/Non

Excuse me
Baal ma/Pardon

Do you speak English?
Ndax degg nga angale?/Parlez-vous anglais?

Do you understand?
Degg nga?/Comprenez-vous?

I understand
Degg naa/Je comprends

I don't understand
Degguma/Je ne comprends pas

Help!
Wooy!/Au secours!

Wolof greetings:


May peace be with you
As salaamu alay kum

And with you be peace
Mu alay kum salaam

How was your night?
Jamm nga fanaane?

How was your day?
Jamm nga yendoo?

How are you?
Na nga def?

I'm fine
Maa ngi fi

How is your family?
Ana sa waa ker?

How is your child?
Sa doom jamm?

What is your name?
Nanga tudu?

My name is...
Maa ngi tudu...

Where are you from?
Foo joge?

I am from...
Maa ngi joge...


No comments:

Post a Comment